deesidewalks.com

Welcome to Deesidewalks.com, a website for people looking for walking routes on Deeside in Scotland.


At present there are 13 walks to choose from, from around Ballater and Loch Kinord - and with more walks added regularly.

Tullich Church

The earliest church on this site was founded by Saint Nathalan in the 7th century. St Nathalan cultivated the surrounding land and distributed his harvest generously to those around. 

Tullich Church, Ballater, Deeside
According to legend one very rainy summer the great saint, in a moment's weakness, cursed the rain which was hindering the harvest. In penitence for his great sin in cursing God's creation in this way St Nathalan padlocked his right arm to his right leg, tossed the key into the River Dee and set off to walk to Rome to seek forgiveness. Upon reaching Rome (a not inconsiderable time later) he sat down to supper. However, when he cut open the fish laid before him he found the very key that he had thrown into the Dee many months previously. A pool in the river nearby is still known as "the key pool" for this reason. 

St Nathalan died in 678 and it is said that miracles were worked by relics of him that were left in the church until the Reformation in 1560. 

The side of Tullich Church, Deeside
In the 1200s Tullich Church and the surrounding land was given to the Knights Templar, the order was abolished - or went into hiding - in 1312. 

It may be hard to believe now, but until the late 1700s Tullich was the principal settlement on Upper Deeside, it included the church and a busy inn nearby. 

In the late 1700s visitors began to flock to Pannanich Wells, directly across the Dee from Tullich however the popularity of Pannanich Wells caused Ballater to be built, a short distance upriver where the Dee was easier to cross. By 1817 the annual fair was moved from Tullich to Ballater and the village of Tullich fell into decline. 

Features on:

Old Railway Line to Cambus o' May
Ballater to Cambus o' May and back

No comments:

Post a Comment